PHNOM PENH, May 6 (Xinhua) -- Cambodia on Thursday confirmed 650 new local COVID-19 cases in the last 24 hours, pushing the national case tally to 17,621 so far, the Ministry of Health (MoH) said in a statement.
Four more fatalities had been reported, raising the death toll to 114, the statement said, adding that 739 patients had recovered, bringing the total number of recoveries to 6,843.
Meanwhile, the government ended a 21-day blanket lockdown in capital Phnom Penh and its adjacent Ta Khmau city of Kandal province on Thursday.
However, the local authorities in the two cities continued to place high-risk areas, or Red Zones, under lockdowns and impose travel restrictions in medium-risk areas, or Dark Yellow Zones, for one more week.
The Southeast Asian nation has been enduring the third wave of COVID-19 community transmission since Feb. 20. In a bid to flatten the infection curve, the country has shut down all schools, sports facilities, museums, cinemas, and entertainment venues nationwide and has imposed lockdowns in small areas which are deemed to have a high risk of infections.