PHNOM PENH, Feb. 22 (Xinhua) -- Cambodian Prime Minister Samdech Techo Hun Sen Monday decided to close all schools in capital Phnom Penh and southern Kandal province again for two weeks after a new community COVID-19 outbreak had been detected.
The move was to prevent the spread of the virus into schools, he said in an audio message released to the public.
"Just in three days, nearly 100 people have been tested positive for the COVID-19, which is the highest-ever number in our country since the virus was first found (in January 2020)," he said.
Hun Sen called on all people who had connections to the Feb. 20 community outbreak to go for COVID-19 tests and to undergo a 14-day quarantine at their houses.
"I'd like to urge people not to leave home if unnecessary; it can be said that the outbreak this time is bigger than the Nov. 3 and Nov. 28 outbreaks," he said.
The prime minister also appealed to people to wear face masks when they go out, to maintain a social distancing of at least 1.5 meters from each other, and to avoid gatherings.
"I still authorize municipal and provincial governors to close any restaurants or businesses that do not comply with safety rules set out by the Ministry of Health," Hun Sen said.